What is the best thing about Brooklyn?

This question has been asked to me many times and as we all know that is a loaded question with multiple answers. Some say the food, others say the people and even some say the trees! I thought about it over and over and it comes down to one thing for me. It comes down to the ability to live in a major metropolitan area and not have to raise you kids in an oppressive urban environment. I detest the suburbs and could not even fathom the thought of living there in a sheltered environment just for my kids. So in the end it is a mixture of all of these things. The trees provide the environment and the hint of nature that is non-existent across the river, the people provide strong unique connections and the best food for reasonable rates and so in the end you have a place that is full of real families from all kinds of places. It seems that Manhattan has turned into a place of the really rich and the really poor and is becoming more like the rest of the country than the democratic ideals of Brooklyn. I guess that’s what happens when you have two Republican mayors back to back. So you might ask, why are you telling us this? The real reason is that I am going to be a father in May and the thought of having my first child gets me thinking about many things. The first is my environment and the boro of Brooklyn. I have posted before about The Best Things to Do with Kids in Brooklyn and that post is one of the number one posts on this blog. It seems that everyone is looking for the best things for kids. There are families everywhere here. Brownstones and Brownstones full of families and so now that the baby is on the way it opens up a whole new universe. So from now on this blog will be bringing you the very best of Brooklyn and especially things for babies and children to do! I look forward to your participation in this discussion and enjoy!

Comments

ptjew said…
Congratulations man. I have three kids of my own.